Crowds at SANFL venues for Round 3 of the Statewide Super League this weekend will be limited to 1000 people following advice today from SA Health.
SANFL had sought approval for the number of spectators at SANFL venues to meet the one person per two square metre density requirement, permitting crowds of over 3,000 at each SANFL venue.
However, SANFL Chief Executive Officer Jake Parkinson said he was advised that SA Health were unable to currently consider SANFL’s submission and grant approval of SANFL’s proposed COVID-19 Management Plan.
Under the State Government’s Stage 3 easing of restrictions, SANFL crowds of over 1000 (excluding players and officials) will require approval of a COVID-19 Management Plan.
Mr Parkinson said SANFL and its Clubs were awaiting release by SA Health of the process to lodge a management plan in order to ensure greater spectator access is permitted in future rounds.
He said SANFL Clubs had agreed the best solution for Round 3 matches was to offer exclusive entry to ticketed members. This includes:
Mr Parkinson said admission for these members would be on a first in, first serve basis at the gate, with members to have their barcoded membership cards scanned upon entry.
Gates would be locked once there were 1000 spectators in the ground.
There was no requirement for smart phone digital tickets at SANFL venues, as had been the case for the first two rounds of the season at Adelaide Oval.
“The League and SANFL Clubs unanimously agreed that it was in the best interests for clubs to bring Statewide Super League footy back to their local venues from round three,” Mr Parkinson said.
“We were very hopeful of being permitted larger crowds for this weekend’s games. Obviously, we are disappointed for our clubs and their supporters that this is not the case.
“This presents a further challenge for our SANFL Clubs but prioritising entry for their ticketed members is the only way to work through this.
“We accept that this is a different season for everyone involved, including footy fans, and we have to do what’s required to play the season in a way that keeps our community safe and mitigates the risk of a coronavirus outbreak.”
Mr Parkinson said on behalf of the SANFL Clubs, the League thanked supporters for their ongoing patience and understanding as they work through the challenges of safely delivering a football season in a COVID-19 environment.
For club members wishing to arrive early at grounds this weekend to ensure admission, gate opening times will be available on the SANFL and SANFL Club websites.
Saturday, July 11
Central District v South Adelaide | X Convenience Oval | 11.45am | Channel 7
Glenelg v North Adelaide | ACH Group Stadium | 2.10pm | SANFL Digital Pass
Sunday, July 12
Eagles v Norwood | Maughan Thiem Kia Oval | 2.10pm | 1629 SEN SA & SEN APP | SANFL Digital Pass
Sturt v West Adelaide | Peter Motley Oval | 2.10pm | SANFL Digital Pass