Match Reports

Tigers claim victory at Alberton

We travelled up Tapleys Hill Road to Alberton Oval on Saturday with a plan to walk away with the two points. We started the game well with plenty of the ball in our forward half of the ground, but unfortunately we were inaccurate in front of the big sticks, only kicking 1:5 and a couple out on the full. Port were applying great pressure around the contest which was expected, and it was always going to be a tough contested game with many stoppages.

The second quarter started with Port applying some strong pressure around the contest and working the ball inside their 50 early. They capitalised on their chances and kicked three goals in the first 15 minutes. We were then able to wrestle the ascendancy back in our favour to own the ball in our half of the ground for the remainder of the quarter with five shots on goal. We were our own worst enemy at times by overusing the ball and giving it back to Port, but when we were able to get the ball in space we moved it well inside 50.

The third quarter was similar to the first, with us holding the ball in our half of the ground for majority of the quarter. But this time, we were able to impact the scoreboard, kicking five goals and one behind. Port’s tackle pressure and desire to turn the game into scrap was evident but it was pleasing that we were able to break away from the congestion at times and give our forwards a good look at the ball. With Hosie kicking another two goals in the quarter we were able to break away from Port and hold onto a handy margin at three quarter time.

During the last quarter the game started to open up for us and we found some space with our movement from the defensive 50. We were able to boot another three goals to two points for the quarter. Our defensive efforts for the day were a real highlight as we restricted Port to 39 inside 50 entries for the game whilst were able to go inside our 50 55 times. It was a pleasing effort from our midfield, for although Port dominated the hit outs, our midfield were able to square up the clearances with Billy Stretch, Matthew Snook and Luke Partington having an impact around the stoppages. Max Proud was solid in defence along with Alex Martini, while Lachie Hosie impressed by kicking five goals for the day. It was a good all round effort against a team that was undermanned but had a real crack.

Thanks for the members who braved the cool conditions at Alberton and were there to cheer the boys on in our win. We look forward to returning to ACH Group Stadium this weekend when we take on a strong Crows outfit in Indigenous Round.

– Brett Hand, Senior Coach