Match Reports

Tigers dominate Adelaide in 89-point win

With a big triple header on the weekend, we were looking forward to returning to ACH Group Stadium to play in front of our supporters against the Crows. With the sun shining and in near perfect conditions, we started the game with three changes to the team that beat South. We particularly welcomed Gibson Turner to the team, who is our 9th Debutant this season.

We started the game well and took control of the stoppages early, providing our forwards with plenty of scoring opportunities. We finished with four goals for the quarter, with the highlight being a running goal from small defender Michael Virgin. It was “Virg’s” first goal in 5 years (and first goal for Glenelg) and didn’t he celebrate it accordingly.

Adelaide’s tackling pressure was very good and we needed to be clean under pressure, which was a pleasing aspect to the second quarter. Our ball movement wasn’t still quite where I wanted it to be, but our pressure was very good. It forced numerous turnovers from Adelaide and allowed us to score five goals for the quarter ,with Luke Reynolds having a purple patch in the middle of the quarter kicking two goals.

We went into the half time break with a six goal lead and came out with a focus to maintain our pressure and intensity. The third quarter saw Adelaide apply even more pressure around the stoppages and they tried to clamp down on Luke Partington, who was providing us with plenty of drive from the midfield. With an equal number of inside 50 entries for the quarter, our ball use and efficiency going inside 50 saw us capitalise on our opportunities, kicking 5:4 for the quarter. This time it was Liam McBean who reaped the benefits of the hard work up the field, kicking 2 goals for the quarter.

The last quarter was very pleasing from my perspective in that we continued until the very end to apply pressure and our intent to win the contest didn’t waver for the whole game. We managed to have 20 inside 50 entries for the quarter and we kicked six goals five behinds for the quarter, with debutant Gibson Turner making the most of some good positioning and hard work rate to kick two goals.

It was pleasing that we were able to play four quarters of football the way I wanted them to and to stick to the task at hand. Luke Reynolds was very good with his work rate to get up and down the ground but then finish his hard work with five goals and give off another couple. Our midfield led by Luke Partington and Matthew Snook were very good and our defenders continued to work well together, rebounding the ball well.

This week provides us with the opportunity to play against the only team we haven’t played yet, Norwood Football Club, who have taken a number of big scalps this season. We look forward to the challenge after they were beaten by the Eagles last week and will be looking to bounce back. See you all at the Parade on Sunday at 2:1opm.

Don’t forget to get out to Thebarton Oval on Saturday at 12:10pm to support our Women’s team who are playing in their first Grand final against West Adelaide.

– Brett Hand, Senior Coach

Goal kickers: L. Reynolds (5), L. McBean (4), G. Turner (3), M. Motlop (2), M. Allen, D. Bailey, B. Searle, B. Turner, M. Virgin, J. Yates

League Trademark Player: Jack Yates