Match Reports

Tigers escape Redlegs a second time

After three weeks off from footy, we were looking forward to getting back into games. We knew that Norwood would be a formidable opponent, and we expected what we got from the first bounce.

Unfortunately our first quarter let us down. We were comprehensively beaten in the contest and we made fundamental errors which could have been a lot more costly than what it was. We were lucky that Norwood kicked inaccurately in the first quarter and we went into quarter time only eight points down. Towards the end of the quarter we started to get our hands on the ball but we kept on giving it back to Norwood.

We addressed a few things at quarter time and the second quarter started to turn in our favour with us getting more of the ball. But unfortunately we couldn’t convert and Norwood managed to kick two goals late in the quarter.

Half time gave us some time to reflect on a few things and when we kicked an early goal in the third quarter it appeared as though we might have been getting a handle on things. But with some poor fundamentals and some things not going our way, we went in to three quarter time 17 points down.

At three quarter time we made a few positional changes and discussed a change in the way we should play, and we were rewarded with a couple of early goals. Our mids started to get on top, and Brett Turner – who had been playing a different role for most of the game – found his way back into the game, and supporting Matthew Snook they were able to get the ball into our forward line more often than we had earlier in the day.

Sam Durdin kicked his first goal for the club, Liam McBean marked strongly and kicked his third for the game after having a strong wrestle with the Norwood defenders all day, and Marlon Motlop kicked his second goal to finish off a very strong performance.

The highlight of the last quarter would have to be Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera kicking his first goal at League, finishing off an outstanding passage of play starting with our mids winning a stoppage and having Nas make the most of a ball given out to him. To see the smile on his face and the enjoyment that the whole team got in celebrating his first goal with him makes me extremely grateful to be involved in this game and a part of these moments.

Thanks to all who came to ACH Group Stadium on Saturday and abided by the Covid Protocols. We look forward to seeing you all again this weekend as we play Centrals at 2:10pm in our last home game of the season.

Stay safe and keep well.

– Brett Hand, Senior Coach

Goal kickers: L. McBean (3), D. Bailey (2), M. Motlop (2), S. Durdin, N. Wanganeen-Milera, T. Pink, L. Reynolds

Trademark Player: Sam Durdin