Match Reports

Tigers make incredible comeback in one-point thriller

Well what a weekend for the Glenelg Football Club, with the Woman’s team winning our first premiership in the SANFLW competition and then the League team coming from 47 points down early in the third quarter to win by a solitary point. Congratulations to Jason and his team on a wonderful achievement.

Arriving at Norwood Oval on Sunday afternoon we were anticipating Norwood to come out and apply a ferocious approach to tackling and pressure around the contest, and that is what we got. On the small ground, they didn’t allow us to get into any space and every time we had the ball we were tackled so full credit to them. We were unable to capitalise on our forward opportunities and at the other end of the ground they did. We were getting beaten well across all areas of the ground and when half time arrived it gave some to time to make a few changes.

We talked about being cleaner, stronger at the contest and being brave with our ball movement at half time. Along with a few positional changes, we were able to hit the scoreboard after an early scare that put them 47 points up 4 minutes into the quarter. Matt Snook and Luke Partington along with Brett Turner started to get on top of Nunn and Grigg, and their clean hands allowed our forwards first opportunity to kick some goals.

Going into ¾ time 16 points down, there was a belief amongst the playing group that if we were able to maintain the same intensity the scoreboard would take care of itself. We continued to win the stoppage battle and Toby Pink along with Luke Reynolds had some key moments in the fourth quarter, hitting the scoreboard and putting us in front with about 10 minutes to go. The last 10 minutes proved to be an arm wrestle with Sam Durdin standing tall in defence and taking a number of strong contested marks and diving on a shot off the ground to touch it in the dying minutes. At the other end of the ground Toby Pink took a couple of strong contested marks to settle things down and take some time off the clock.

It was a real heart stopper but I couldn’t be more proud of the way the guys stuck to the plan and fought out the contest against a Norwood team that threw everything at us with 113 tackles for the game. Thanks to all of our supporters who were there to celebrate the comeback and a big thankyou goes to the girls team who were very vocal on the sidelines wearing their Silly Sunday outfits. I know how much the boys enjoy hearing the Glenelg faithful cheer when a goal is scored.

Another big challenge awaits us on Monday June 14, the Queens Birthday, against North Adelaide, who have turned their early season form around and have been playing some very good footy of late. See you at ACH Group Stadium!

– Brett Hand, Senior Coach

Goal kickers: L. McBean (2), T. Pink (2), L. Reynolds (2), D. Bailey, R. Kuller, L. Partington, B. Turner