Match Reports

Tigers make six in a row after nail-biter clash

What a great way to spend Mother’s Day down at the Bay with 4 wins for the club over the weekend. After some strong performances by our U/18’s and Women’s Team on Saturday, our Reserves started Mother’s Day off in great style with a very good win against Sturt and provided a great entrée to the League game. Knowing that Sturt had been very competitive in all of their games they have played this year, and having a young developing team, we knew that Marty Mattner’s men weren’t going to make it easy for us.

This proved to be the case, with the first quarter proving to be a tough physical contest, with both sides trying to gain the upper hand. Sturt were getting their hands on the ball first and putting our defenders under pressure, with Chris Curran and Max Proud standing up strong. Luke Partington was getting plenty of the ball and we were able to go into qtr time with an 8-point lead.

The second quarter was a real arm wrestle with Sturt’s midfield causing a few concerns. Sturt were able to capitalize on their influence and outscored us with 7 shots to 5, however we were able to maintain a slender 1 point lead.

The third quarter was a seasawing affair when Sturt kicked away to a 2-goal lead, before we finished the quarter with three goals to go into the final break with a 5-point lead.

Knowing that Sturt had lost a few games this year when they had been close at three quarter time, we knew that they were going to give it their all in the final term. We started the quarter off well, kicking the first three goals and getting out to a 3-goal lead. We then had another couple of opportunities to push the lead out more, however we were unable to convert on this. Sturt however sensed that they were still in the game and were able to kick 3 goals and take a 2-point lead with a few minutes to go. After a tense few minutes, Callum Park decided to take the game on and switched the ball to Liam McBean, who was on the outer side of the ground, and started up a passage of play that saw Luke Reynolds be rewarded for his outstanding work rate after he took a mark on the edge of the goal square and converted truly to put us in the lead by 4 points. Thankfully the siren sounded soon after and we escaped with the two points, making it an exciting way to complete a successful round of football for the Glenelg Football Club on Mothers Day.

Thanks to all the Mums who came to support us on Sunday as the men now enjoy a well-earned week off from games as we prepare for a big game against South Adelaide next week.

I’d like to also congratulate Chris Curran, Max Proud, Luke Partington, Lachie Hosie, Liam McBean and Luke Reynolds on being selected to represent the state on this Saturday in the State game against WA. It’s a true reflection on their hard work and their strong start to the year to be given the honour of representing the club in the mighty State Guernsey this weekend. We also had Sam Durdin and Matthew Snook who were chosen in the initial squad but unfortunately were squeezed out of the final 23 man squad.

See you in a couple of weeks at Noarlunga.

– Brett Hand, Senior Coach

Goal kickers: L. Reynolds (3), L. Hosie (3), M. Allen (2), D. Bailey, M. Motlop, M. Snook

Trademark player: Max Proud