Match Reports

Tigers stage incredible third quarter comeback to steal the win

What a beautiful day for football Good Friday was, with the weather ideal for a big home crowd to celebrate Matthew Snook’s 150 League games and Luke Reynolds’ 100 SANFL Games. Both players have been great servants of the club and we were looking forward to ensuring it was a memorable day for both. Unfortunately, it will be a day that both won’t forget for very different reasons. Luke only played 30 seconds of the game before leaving the ground with a facial injury to his jaw that wouldn’t allow him to return. Although, we facetimed him after the game and he was very pleased for the group. It will now take three to four weeks before he is able to return to play.

Adelaide had played two very good games, with wins against Port and North, and with 18 listed players it was going to be a big challenge for our group. They had been scoring heavily in their first two games and were playing some exciting football and we knew we were going to have to be at our best in all areas.

The first quarter proved to be a real arm wrestle with not a lot of difference occurring on the stats sheet. With only one point separating us at quarter time, it was certainly an intriguing contest. Both teams were hard at the contest and produced some good passages of play but the highlight was the pressure around the contest. Both teams had chances that they should have capitalised on but at quarter time we were pleased with what we had been doing.

The second quarter was a different affair with the Crows kicking seven unanswered goals to our four points for the quarter. Their pressure around the contest rose and we made a number of mistakes with our skills and turned the ball over on too many occasions when we were in scoring position ourselves. Adelaide were able to withstand that pressure better than us and made the most of their inside 50 entries. It was quite a weird scenario as I knew our game plan was holding up, however our skill execution wasn’t, and we needed to find a way to change this around at half time.

Half time allowed us to regroup and focus on what we had discussed pre-game and it proved to be what we needed. It is never good to have seven goals kicked against you and it is something that has happened two weeks in a row and we need to stop the flow a lot sooner, which we have discussed before. We need our leaders to take control and ensure that we get control of the game.

The third quarter was a pleasant surprise of the style of football that I have been hoping we could put together. It wasn’t just from one source that we were able to kick 10 goals and that was the most pleasing part of the whole game. Our midfield, in particular Turner and Partington, were getting their hands on the ball and giving our forwards first opportunity. We went inside 50 16 times and had 12 shots on goal in the third quarter, with Liam McBean kicking three goals and Brett Turner two. Max Proud was also superb down back. At three quarter time it was important to focus on what we had done well that quarter but also know that we had played with only three on the bench for the game.

So, we needed to play smart, and that was very pleasing to see in the last quarter. The last quarter was similar to the first with both teams having a real crack and in the end we played some smart footy and were able to withstand a push from the Crows to hold on to a 15 point win.

It was fantastic to see so many Glenelg supporters out and about on Friday evening and the noise you made was greatly appreciated by the players. We look forward to seeing you all again on Anzac Day at Maughan Thiem Kia Oval at 2:10pm as we take on the reigning premiers in a Grand Final rematch.

– Brett Hand, Senior Coach

Goal kickers: L. McBean (4), B. Turner (4), C. Horsnell, L. Hosie, C. Lyons, N. Minchin, L. Partington, J. Scharenberg, H. Stagg